Friday, August 15, 2008

Pride of the Dodgers

Its that time of year again. We're all in first and the future is bright. Los Angeles is buzzing now that longtime fan and resident knucklebones will GM the team. A certain amount of pride is always at stake when running this team.

I can remember the 77 series or 78 when Jackson hit those 3 hrs against us. I actually cried. lol. The dreaded Yankees are the enemy of not only my beloved Dodgers, but my home team the Red Sox. Back in 81 they finally beat the Yanks. For some reason who was on that team is vague. Oh it was the 80's and I was 16. I had other stuff on my mind. haha. The 88 series I'll never forget. Hershiser was amazing. A bulldog he was. Now that was a team that won without a bat in the lineup. Gibson won the mvp with what 25 88 290. or something? Scioscia was the catcher. Ah .. wasn't Fernando on the team in 81? or was it 83? That guy screwed up my windup the rest of my life. He was definately my favorite player at the time. As a younger kid Garvey was my idol and role model. I was really traumatized later on when I found out what a tool he really was and the good guy thing was all an act.

You may wonder why a guy from Boston would be a Dodger fan all his life. I owe it all to the book boys of summer. My actual favorite team doesn't really exist anymore and I never saw them play. I could name a bunch of those 50s Dodger guys, but why bore anyone? Let me just say that when you got Camperneris, Robinson, Koufax, Roe, Labine, Cox, Snider, Furillo, Reese, et all. You should win a lot. They were ahead of their time with that bashing lineup and ebbetts field. What a great team. I've always had a liking for teams that could smash the ball. The entire 1930s season. The 34 Cardinals 46 Red Sox, Too many yankme teams to mention, The 50s whiz kids from Philly. The A's during the 70s. My favorite all time offensive team had to be the 82 Brewers though. I could probably name the whole lineup. Dont ask me who pitched. haha. Pete Vuckovich and Pat Travers? Anyways, since I was rambling in chat, I thought I'd throw something up. I dont get a good feel for the team until I've played a couple spring training games and get the kinks out. I will say that when I run my Dodgers its definately going to be my best effort. The losses will be painful and the wins just expected. Theres something magic about these guys and I believe we're going to have a remarkable season. Dodger Pride is a stake. I wish you all the best of luck with your teams and I will do my best to ensure you all dont return in two seasons with your miserable records. Let the games begin! Dodger Blue baby! :)

No comments: